Advertised by Paradigm Digital
Living in another country always offers an abundance of exciting new things to do and see, and Sweden is certainly no different. If you’re considering starting a new life in Sweden, you will surely want to know about the country’s entertainment scene. So, check out the following types of popular Swedish entertainment. There’s something for everyone.
Live Music Venues
Non-Swedes may still associate Sweden with ABBA, Roxette, and Ace of Bass. But the music scene has moved on since those times. Acts like Zara Larsson, Icona Pop, and Swedish House Mafia are just some of today’s big names in Swedish music. But you will be able to find out who the up and coming stars are by visiting Sweden’s many music venues. Live music is extremely popular in Sweden. Whether you like rock, dance, or opera, Sweden has a thriving music scene. And Stockholm undoubtedly has the best live music venues. Two of the best are:
- Debaser Medis in central Södermalm, which is one of the most famous music venues in the country. It focuses on rock and often puts on shows featuring big names, such as Godspeed You! Black Emperor. But it also showcases lots of smaller and local bands.
- Fasching, which is near Central Station in Stockholm. If you love soul, jazz, and world music, this is the place for you. Since 1977, the venue has been home to local and international talents. You’re sure to love the relaxed and cozy atmosphere of Fasching.
If you enjoy playing games like blackjack, roulette, and slots, you can either visit a casino online or spend an evening soaking up the glitz and glamor of a real-life casino. There are four casinos in the country, each of which is owned by the state-run Casino Cosmopol. The casinos are located in some of Sweden’s most prominent cities: Goteborg, Sundsvall, Malmö, and Stockholm. The casinos also run regular local and national poker tournaments. If you’re looking for a night of thrilling entertainment, Sweden’s classy casinos could be the perfect destination.
One type of entertainment that has recently become extremely popular in Sweden is escape rooms. Escape rooms involve being locked in one or more rooms in which you must find clues, solve puzzles, and complete tasks to escape within a designated time limit. The best ones in Sweden are Fox in a Box Escape Room in Malmo, and Quezzle Escape Room in Stockholm.
Virtual Reality Games
For entertainment a little out of the ordinary, check out VR Malmö, in Malmo. By immersing yourself in the latest VR technology, you become an active part of games in which you can shoot, jump, catch, or paint. There are activities for regular gamers and novices. VR Malmö provides a fun and thrilling adventure, unlike any other.
Although theatre isn’t as big in Sweden as it is in other European countries, there are still plenty of fantastic venues where you can see adapted and original plays. Stockholm has the best theatres, where you can catch plays and shows in either Swedish or English. Two of the best in Stockholm are:
- Maxim, which is located in the upper-class area of Östermalm. You will find a variety of shows throughout the year as well as an annual adaptation of Dickens’ A Christmas Carol in English. The theatre itself exudes elegance.
- The Royal Dramatic Theater dates back from 1788. Known locally as Dramaten, the venue puts on national and international performances of note. It is the premier stage for Sweden’s theatrical performances, so you’re sure to see top acting talent. The theatre is also one of the most beautiful pieces of architecture in Stockholm.
Festivals and Events
One of the great things about living in Sweden is that there are various fun and exciting festivals and events throughout the year. There are ones to suit everyone’s tastes. Here are two you should watch out for:
- The Apple Market Festival in Kivik takes place at the end of the harvest season. You can eat from a wide range of apple-based tasty treats, and wash them down with scrumptious cider while viewing artworks made from apples.
- The Peace and Love Festival celebrates Sweden’s diverse communities through music. It’s one of the largest annual music festivals in the country. Over the years, it has seen famous artists like Patti Smith, The Hives, and the New York Dolls.
Don’t miss out! Get updates on new articles, opportunities and other goodies by signing up for our newsletter.