You probably have a phone with you – so that is a great start. However, your phone bill will soon be astronomical if you keep using up those international minutes for texts, surfing and internet share. So – getting a local phone contract and broadband should be high up on your list of things to get sorted.
Disclaimer: To keep The Newbie Guide free, we use affiliate links (marked with *) and may get a commission if you click and buy using these links. This does not affect our opinions and our writers always recommend their best for your Swedish experience.
Which takes us to the next question – which phone plan (cellphone contract for the Americans:-) should I get? There are loads of phone companies out there and finding the right one when most of the information is in Swedish can be – challenging. So we are here to help with a thorough list with tips.
Phone plan top list
So here is our phone plan top list. Read, browse and check out what fits you best.
Good coverage, more expensive end of the scale.
- Their net covers 99.9% of the Swedish population. Note that this can mean that it covers where people live. Not a random empty mountain you may want to hike up.
- You can swap phones after 12 months and hand in your old one as part of the exchange.
- You can bring 100 GB when you go traveling.
- Monthly plans from 4G up to unlimited, starting from about 219 SEK to 569 SEK.
- Free calls, sms and mms within Sweden
- Prepaid card has the same rules and prices as monthly plans
- No binding period for subscriptions
Cheap, decent coverage, no fixed monthly periods.
- Uses Telenor network
- No commitments, no period of notice if using the monthly plans
- You can save the unused internet data up to 12 months
- You can stop the monthly plan if you leave Sweden and continue when you’re back, no need to pay when you’re not using it
- Packages start from 3GB up to 100GB with really generous discounts up to 75% for the first 2 months
When the internet data matters (no matter the price):
- 100 free calls
- 100 free SMS
- Surf starting at 5GB to unlimited
- Price between 199 SEK – 499 SEK
- 14 days right to withdraw
- Unlimited surf in Sweden for 499 SEK/month and 60GB for EU
If the price is a crucial aspect, good prices for students and entrepreneurs. Great options for EU internet data if needed.
- Uses Tre network
- You can choose between monthly plans or prepaid cards
- When using the prepaid card you can use the money only when needed
- Plans starting on 99 SEK for 4GB up to 100GB for 174 SEK for the first 3 months
- Their most used plan is 25GB for 124 SEK
- Discounted plans for students!
Cheap prices, low price guarantee meaning that if you find a cheaper plan with another Swedish company, they will match it.
- Uses Telenor network
- Packages start from 149 per month.
- Free SMS, MMS and a certain amount of surf within the EU.
- Low price guarantee
- Packages for families, students, seniors and kids.
Contracts that are either free surf for 349/month or 6 GB for 149/month,
- Free calls and free surf
- Free sms and mms
- Easy payment by card
- No fixed contracts
- Change subscription form at any time
- Keep your number or change if you want
Hope this list is useful for you. And if you are looking for broadband, here is another list.