A thing worth considering when settling in Sweden is insurance. The social security insurance (provided by Försäkringskassan) covers a lot but not everything. It might therefore be a good idea to look into the different private insurance companies and what they offer.
Disclaimer: To keep The Newbie Guide free, we use affiliate links (marked with *) and may get a commission if you buy using these links. This does not affect our opinions and our writers always recommend their best for your Swedish experience. So if you want to support our work, simply use these links if or when you need to buy a service or product.
There is no legal obligation to sign up for insurance. However it is strongly recommended to at least sign up for home insurance – so called hemförsäkring as this insurance will cover most cases of bad luck.
Home insurance – Hemförsäkring
This insurance usually covers:
- belongings in case of theft/fire/accidents
- liability and legal related expenses
- travel related costs
The home insurance is generally linked to your home and covers everyone who is registered – folkbokförd in that household. This is why you will need a Swedish personal number – personnummer, in order to sign up for a home insurance.
Companies that offer home insurance – hemförsäkring
All the major insurance companies offer home insurance. You can sign up for a home insurance online or visit any of their offices. Here we list some options for you:
- Hedvig* aims to disrupt the old insurance industry which they do by offering a fully mobile based insurance so that you get insurance that is fast, simple and fair. They also have options for rentals and students.
- ICA Försäkring* – Home and holiday house.
Consult a comparison site
It is important to compare the prices between companies before you decided which insurance to go for. The price can differ a lot from one company to another. Make sure to check the conditions before making your choice. Here an online comparison service:
- Compriser* – on this website you can make comparisons to find the best deals for electricity contracts, bank loans, house mortgage and different types of insurance such as home, pet, child and car insurance. It is free to use their website but you will have to answer a few questions in order to get deals that fit you.
Missing something? Or does something feel unclear? Contact us and help us improve.