Paying taxes – most of us need to do it. The Swedish Tax Agency – Skatteverket) is responsible for national tax collection and administering the population registration.
If you plan to live in Sweden one year of more you should register with the Swedish Tax Agency – Skatteverket. Doing so will add you to the Swedish Tax System and assigns you with a unique identification number, a so called personnummer.
Why is paying taxes important?
Paying taxes (sometimes quite a lot) is one of the many things Swedes do. Trying to find a way around it – is not a good idea. Life in Sweden comes with many social benefits and these benefits need to be paid for, somehow. When you pay your taxes, you contribute to these benefits. And by doing so, you’re added to the system, making you a benefiter of it. It’s actually quite nice – you give and you take.
Once you register with the Swedish Tax Agency all your personal data (current address, marital status, income etc.) is automatically spread to the other authorities. This may sound a bit scary but it is rather practical. If you e.g. move or get married, you only need to inform the Swedish Tax Agency about it and they will forward the information to other relevant authorities.
E-learning course: Preparing your move to Sweden
Are you already feeling a bit overwhelmed about all the stuff you need to figure out how to move to Sweden? We’ve got you covered. Over the years we’ve been repeatedly told just stressful this process can be so we created a digital course with all the information you need to move. Here you will learn about:
- Short (and long facts) about Sweden.
- The history and background of Sweden in regards to democracy, religious freedom, gender equality, social security, child welfare and LGBTQIA+.
- The types of visas and residence permits that are available plus the requirements.
- Important Swedish agencies, and trust us, you DO need to know about these ones.
- How to find a place to stay and how to avoid rental fraud.
- How to pack for your move depending on the season.
- And there will be some quizzes to make sure you are paying attention and not falling asleep at your screen.
After finishing this course, you will have a greater understanding of what has made Sweden what it is today, how you best prepare for a move here and to get your stay here started in the best manner.
Missing something? Or does something feel unclear? Contact us and help us improve.