When you registering with the Swedish Tax Agency - Skatteverket - you get a unique identity number - called personnummer. Your whole legal existence in Sweden is based on this personal number.
And you will generally need it for more or less everything, like:
- opening a Swedish bank account
- registering with the Swedish Public Employment Service - Arbetsförmedlingen
- learning Swedish at SFI
- registering your car at the Swedish Transportation Agency - Transportstyrelsen
- getting medical treatment
- or ordering medicine a the pharmacy
It is in some exceptional cases possible to do these things without being registered with the Swedish Tax Agency, yet having a personal identity number makes it all much easier so it is highly recomended go get one.
The set up of your identity number - personnummer
Your personnummer consists of ten numbers, starting by your birth date (year, month day) plus four unique numbers. The number is not secret, it is however good to be careful as a lot of information is linked to this number and identity theft is a growing crime.
E-learning course: Preparing your move to Sweden
Are you already feeling a bit overwhelmed about all the stuff you need to figure out how to move to Sweden? We’ve got you covered. Over the years we’ve been repeatedly told just stressful this process can be so we created a digital course with all the information you need to move. Here you will learn about:
- Short (and long facts) about Sweden.
- The history and background of Sweden in regards to democracy, religious freedom, gender equality, social security, child welfare and LGBTQIA+.
- The types of visas and residence permits that are available plus the requirements.
- Important Swedish agencies, and trust us, you DO need to know about these ones.
- How to find a place to stay and how to avoid rental fraud.
- How to pack for your move depending on the season.
- And there will be some quizzes to make sure you are paying attention and not falling asleep at your screen.
After finishing this course, you will have a greater understanding of what has made Sweden what it is today, how you best prepare for a move here and to get your stay here started in the best manner.
Missing something? Or does something feel unclear? Contact us and help us improve.