Residence based on family ties

residence permit based on family

What are the requirements to apply for a residence permit based on family ties? You can get a residence permit based on family ties and the Swedish Migration Board Migrationsverket has a quite generous understanding of the concept of family and includes the following members:

  • wife/husband
  • registered partner
  • common-law spouse
  • fiancé and
  • unmarried children (under the age of 18)

This means that you could be granted a residence permit in Sweden based on family ties, if you e.g. have a husband or wife that legally lives and works in Sweden.

Note: you don’t need to be married to the person you move to. Being common-law spouses is a fully valid ground to be granted a residence permit.

Furthermore, Migrationsverkets definition of family is not restricted to a heterosexual understanding off it. Gay couples are welcome to apply for a residence permit in Sweden on the same conditions as heterosexual couples.

Note: In order to extend your residence permit you must still remain in a relationship with your partner. However, if your relationship has ended, you may, in certain cases, be permitted to stay.


Don’t miss out! Get updates on new articles, opportunities and other goodies by signing up for our newsletter.