Some of you are new on this path, maybe planning a move to Sweden or newly arrived and optimistic. Some of you have been struggling for a while and are starting to lose hope, or feeling extremely frustrated. No matter which group you fall into, just know this course aims to help you avoid more struggles and challenges than is necessary during your transition into a new country.
This course was created by all internationals and we have the experience to back up our strategies. Much of our wisdom comes from other internationals who paved this path for us, who extended their hands out into the dark unknown we were traversing and pulled us along to each new step. We also asked Swedish HR professionals to approve of this content to make sure it was accurately representing Swedish culture and providing quality advice on a professional level.
GUIDELINES TO FOLLOW:
Here are some tips to make sure you get the best experience:
- Progress not perfection! Just try your best to use these topics in practical application. Even one new skill is progress, not everything can be learned instantaneously.
- Go at your own pace. This course was not created with a timeline, which means you can complete it in one week or one year.
- Go in consecutive order. Follow the course layout to build on your knowledge – the topics are foundational and depend on each other. However, you can skip ahead if another topic feels more relevant to your interest.
- Reach out for support. Find other internationals to discuss your experiences with, maybe in an online group on social media or local meetup.
- Contact Intertalents in Sweden. We want to hear from our students and provide additional support when possible. A 15-minute free consultation may be available, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org to learn more.
WHO THIS COURSE IS FOR:
- Internationals or expats who either live in or plan to move to Sweden
- Self-motivated individuals who are willing to put in the work to get results
- Intermediate or highly-skilled professionals, and additionally ambitious entry-level professionals (i.e. for higher-level strategies beyond foundational networking knowledge)
- Those who want to improve their networking skills to reach specific goals, including both Swedish and non-Swedish backgrounds
WHO THIS COURSE IS NOT FOR:
- Those who don’t have a professional background or higher education who may prefer to seek blue collar work that doesn’t require higher education
- Those who expect a magical fix to their situation without first applying step-by-step actions
- Those who cannot take responsibility for their situation or be willing to face uncomfortable situations to expand and grow
- Those who refuse to be open-minded towards other cultures (ex: blaming the differences in Swedish culture for their negative experiences instead of learning how to embrace and adapt to the culture)
This course will include references to other cultures that can be understood as generalizations. People are individuals and don’t always follow precise stereotypes of the cultural background to which they belong. However, most people have been influenced to some degree by the culture they grew up in and express this in varying degrees of behavior.
The goal of this course is to assist you in understanding the differences between your culture and Swedish culture and to use this information to make adapting to the Swedish job market an easier journey. It is up to you to take the information presented here in whichever way helps you and disregard the strategies that will not apply to your unique situation.
Course Creator: Amanda Herzog
Illustrations: Krasimir Momchilov
© Intertalents in Sweden, 2022. All rights reserved. Material on this website is subject to copyright under Swedish law and through international treaties, and applicable law in other countries.
Unless otherwise indicated, we (and/or our third-party licensors) own the copyright and other intellectual property rights in the text, graphics, information, designs, data, and other content on this website (including course materials).
All course materials made available on this website (including course notes, presentations, audio, and other downloadable files) may be used by students enrolled in the relevant subjects for educational purposes only. If you have access to these course materials and use them for non-educational purposes, you could be infringing copyright and may face penalties under the Copyrights Act (1960:729) or any of our policies that apply to you.
Apart from the uses specified in these terms, course materials and other content on this website may not be reproduced for any purposes, including commercial purposes, or stored in a database or retrieval system, without prior written permission from us.
This course is provided for informational purposes only, and whilst the information contained within the course is correct to the best of the authors’ and publisher’s knowledge at the time of publication, Intertalents in Sweden does not provide any warranties with respect to the accuracy, applicability or completeness of the content.
ABOUT INTERTALENTS IN SWEDEN:
Intertalents in Sweden was founded because of a common scenario – we were three foreign-born professionals who had struggled to find work in Sweden despite being highly qualified. We had the same stories, too: applying for hundreds of jobs with seemingly perfect CV’s but little response, depression creeping in due to constant rejections from the Swedish job market, the confusion of being highly skilled talent and yet no one wanted to hire us, and in some cases the clock ticking on a visa application that was soon to expire or dwindling funds of money.
After years of trial and error, dead ends, picking ourselves back up after falling multiple times, many rejections, and eventual successes, we can now navigate the Swedish culture with a sense of stability, knowing, and ease. Now we’re on a mission to give back to the expat community by offering a guiding light to those seeking career success in Sweden. This course was made for the international job seeker in Sweden, by other international job seekers who’ve already successfully walked this path. Our courses and programs are created from a place of compassion, experience, and credible backgrounds.
Learn more about us here.
NOW BEGIN YOUR COURSE!