What are the requirements to get a residence permit based on employment? More than 19 000 residence permits where granted in 2013 due to employment. The two main requirements for obtaining a residence permit based on employment are:
- a job offer from a Swedish employer.
- a monthly salary of no less than 13 000 SEK/month before tax.
When you apply, it is important to attach a proof of the job offer to your application.
You must have your residence permit settled before you enter Sweden. If you need to come to Sweden to do an interview or any kind of employment test, you may need a visa in order to do so.
On July 20, 2021, the Swedish migration legislation will be changed. Many who have applied for a residence permit and not received a decision before July 20 will be affected by the new rules.
According to the new rules to be eligible for a permanent residence permit as an employee, you must
- have held a work permit for four years of the past seven years
- be able to financially support yourself
- be expected to live an orderly life.
If you have a permit as a self-employed person, you can be granted a permanent residence permit after two years.
On the Swedish Migration Board - Migrationsverket website you can read more in detail about the new requirements.
E-learning course: Preparing your move to Sweden
Are you already feeling a bit overwhelmed about all the stuff you need to figure out how to move to Sweden? We’ve got you covered. Over the years we’ve been repeatedly told just stressful this process can be so we created a digital course with all the information you need to move. Here you will learn about:
- Short (and long facts) about Sweden.
- The history and background of Sweden in regards to democracy, religious freedom, gender equality, social security, child welfare and LGBTQIA+.
- The types of visas and residence permits that are available plus the requirements.
- Important Swedish agencies, and trust us, you DO need to know about these ones.
- How to find a place to stay and how to avoid rental fraud.
- How to pack for your move depending on the season.
- And there will be some quizzes to make sure you are paying attention and not falling asleep at your screen.
After finishing this course, you will have a greater understanding of what has made Sweden what it is today, how you best prepare for a move here and to get your stay here started in the best manner.