When you registering with the Swedish Tax Agency - Skatteverket - you get a unique identity number - called personnummer. Your whole legal existence in Sweden is based on this personal number.
And you will generally need it for more or less everything, like:
- opening a Swedish bank account
- registering with the Swedish Public Employment Service - Arbetsförmedlingen
- learning Swedish at SFI
- registering your car at the Swedish Transportation Agency - Transportstyrelsen
- getting medical treatment
- or ordering medicine a the pharmacy
It is in some exceptional cases possible to do these things without being registered with the Swedish Tax Agency, yet having a personal identity number makes it all much easier so it is highly recomended go get one.
The set up of your identity number - personnummer
Your personnummer consists of ten numbers, starting by your birth date (year, month day) plus four unique numbers. The number is not secret, it is however good to be careful as a lot of information is linked to this number and identity theft is a growing crime.
Missing something? Or does something feel unclear? Contact us and help us improve.