Exchange a driving license from a EU country

رخصة قيادة من إحدى دول الاتحاد الأوروبي

It is possible to exchange a driving license issued within the EEA to a Swedish driving license. To do this you must:

  • have a valid driver’s license from within the EEA
  • be registered with the Swedish Tax Agency – so called bokförd i Sverige

How to do change your driving license

  1. Go the Swedish Transport Agency (Transportstyrelsen) website and order the application form Ansök om utbyte av utländskt körkort. (Information in Swedish).
  2. Pay the application fee of 600 SEK to the Swedish Transport Agency (Transportstyrelsen). You do so by using the payment form (inbetalningskort) that Transportstyrelsen sends you.
  3. Submit your application along with your current driving licence (in original!) to: Transportstyrelsen
    701 97 Örebro. Note that you will still be allowed to drive in Sweden while your application is being processed at Transportstyrelsen. Keep a copy of your original driving license with you. If you ever get stopped by the police, they will also know that your driving license is in the process of being exchanged by checking their system.
  4. If Transportstyrelsen approves your application, you must visit one of their offices (information in Swedish) where you will take a new picture and sign your new driving license. Note! Make sure to bring a valid identification.
  5. You must pay a fee of 150 SEK before you can get your Swedish driving license. This will also be sent to you by inbetalningskort.
  6. Your new Swedish driving license will be sent home to you by post.
  7. Transportstyrelsen will send back your old driving license to the country where it was issued.
  8. Now, enjoy your driving with your new Swedish license.

Don’t miss out! Get updates on new articles, opportunities and other goodies by signing up for our newsletter.