Driving license from a non-EU country

person driving car

Are you driving in Sweden on a Non EU driving license? Watch out for the one-year-limit! Driving licenses from a non-EU country are generally valid in Sweden, if they are valid in the country where they were issued. There is, however, an important limit to this validity: a non-EU driving license is generally valid for just one year. This means that your Non EU driving license will loose its validity, when you have been registered – so called folkbokförd with the Swedish Tax Agency (Skatteverket) for a year.

After the initial 12 months, you must acquire a EU or Swedish drivers license. Otherwise you expose yourself to risk of having to pay a fine of 3000 SEK and become barred from getting a Swedish license for two years.

So, make sure to settle your driving license situation before the validity of your current driving license expires.

Note, however the validity of a Non EU driving license can be extended for longer if you can prove that you are in Sweden for a limited period of time (for e.g. studies or work).

So, if you hold a driving license from the US, Canada, Brazil, Syria, Iran, India, Thailand, South Africa or any country outside of the EU, be prepared to register to get a new Swedish driving license before the 1-year limit if you want to continue to drive legally in Sweden.

Exchanging a driving license from a non-EU country?

A driving license issued outside the EU can generally not be replaced by a Swedish driving license. The only exception to this, are driving licenses issued in Switzerland and Japan. In order to exchange a driving license from Switzerland or Japan, you must:

  • Have a valid driver’s license from Switzerland or Japan.
  • Permanently reside in Sweden which means you must be registered with the Swedish Tax Agency  (Skatteverket).
  • Meet the personal and medical requirements for a license in Sweden.

Don’t miss out! Get updates on new articles, opportunities and other goodies by signing up for our newsletter.